Monday, October 17, 2005

Itchy feet

Being a home-bird at heart, it is all coming as a bit of a shock that I have itchy feet.

It's easy to attribute the reasons why it is the case, but it is most definitely a new sense of purpose.

For the last few weeks, I have an urge to be absolutely and utterly free. Not from Charlie, jst from self-imposed ties, from clock-watching, from making excuses not to, from justifying reasons to do it anyway - all that shite.

A wonderful friend reminded me today, that I have been answerable to someone, for a very long time. When I have sat and thought about it, it is the whole of my life.

I have a little money coming next year, and Charlie will be almost 18 (shock and awe!), and I have no option it seems, than to spend it on an adventure. It is a compulsion at present, and my time is becoming increasingly occupied with the idea.

My friend Colin did much the same thing a few years back - just joined a 'caravan' in Africa. He came back 3months later, a new man.

For me I think it will be somewhere like Sri Lanka or India. Somewhere I can escape. Somewhere that will be a challenge to every sense I have. Or maybe Australia.

This time next year, the world will be my oyster. What a strange and frightening thought!

I will be heading towards 37 when the time comes, and I welcome that. Another year wiser, more prepared.

So my hearty's, if I'm not driving you all potty with my excitement this time next year, please remind me that we are all a long time dead!

5 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Go for it...the foot powder for the itch that is....

Not really, go for it because no one EVER has seen it all or has known it all...it's a big world out there and often just drifting with the current isn't enough: sometimes you have to strick out swim a bit, and get your hair wet and see where you end up...don't know who said it but... "reach for the stars, you might never get to reach one but you won't get a handful of dirt either!"

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I mean...STRIKE OUT AND SWIM A BIT...Christ I can't think straight!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

How very exciting. I think eveyone should do this every few years just to keep their mind open to everything. It's far too easy to get bogged down in life and not realise that actually what you call life isn't really a life.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:41:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

I hope you'll still write your blog though.

Wouldn't bother your arse with the 5Live message board if you're taking a break, then you should definitely take a break from that.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:56:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Carpe Diem, my lovely! Post your adventures here!

Saturday, October 22, 2005 5:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home