Tuesday, January 17, 2006

This time 17 years ago....

I was in a considerable amount of pain.

My baby was already 14 days late, I'd been in labour for 31 hours and there seemed to be nothing going on but the ever increasing, ever intensifying contractions. Nothing shifting. No baby imminently arriving.

It would be another 18 hours until Charlie made his rather unfussy entrance into the world; a total of 15 days late, and taking 48 hours and 58 minutes of that overtime to be born!

All went swimmingly, but my God, we were both knackered!

He then went on to sleep for the next 10 hours, when the nurses insisted I wake him up to try and get food down him.

I just sat and stared.

He will be 17 tomorrow and I still find myself just wanting to look at him. To take in that face I've known so long and so well, but that changes almost daily, and I guess always has done.

He still likes to take his time and slack when he can, but he is turning out to be a pretty decent fella, with a well-formed world view and a good attitude.

I hope he has the happiest of days.

13 Comments:

Blogger Linda Mason said...

Lovely thoughts. I know them well. Hope that he has a very happy birthday.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Wish your lad a good one from me K!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Happy Birthday charlie...if your mum is bothering to read this today!!!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Seventeen was the best. You can be a kid if you so choose or you can be an adult.

Given the chance to relive a year of my life - 17 would take it for me.

Happy Birthday Charlie.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Thank you folks, from the man himself, and from me.

He's been to work today but has the day off tomorrow.

He went for a Thai with his dad, brother, uncle and cousin (all men together), lots of pressies and money, and is now having a little get together with his best mate.

The best of days really.

K x

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

I'm glad he had a good birthday. I hope he was in a reasonable state when he came in, although that might be a bigger worry next year. :-)

Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I suspect he's learnt a salutory lesson in that department Les (read earlier posts)...

Friday, January 20, 2006 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

Yes, Gavin, I read about Charlie's Christmas works do. Perhaps it ought to be regarded as a rite of passage or something. New Year Year's Eve 1973 was my "nuit noir". It was a Monday night : I got so pissed I still had a hangover on the Friday!

Friday, January 20, 2006 8:47:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Blimey belated birthday greetings to Charlie. I totally agree with Gavin 17 is a great age. You look old enough to get in to pubs, but you don't have any responsibility whatsoever.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 6:53:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Crikey people are agreeing with me...I must have wandered into a parallel universe in error...

Sunday, January 22, 2006 1:47:00 AM  
Blogger flyingfinn said...

I concur with the above sentiments. I'd love to be seventeen again, but with the knowledge that I have now.

Monday, January 23, 2006 1:50:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Oh sweet seventeen.....I vaguely remember it.

Monday, January 23, 2006 8:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where do the years go ..... my eldest is slightly younger ..late starter in the baby making ...too into other things ..like work ...
it still feels like yesterday .
I still remember my dad saying to me, when I had my first, no matter what age your kids are, you still worry about them...a mothers love ...
love them and let them grow ...
17 ...a distant memory mmmmmm
x

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home