Monday, January 09, 2006

Manna from heaven? Part 2

I've been offered the job at the farm today!

I had a second interview with the seemingly likeable chap that is now my boss, and his wife, and there was just something about the questions they asked, and the answers I felt comfortable enough to give the honest answers to, that made me hope they'd offer me the job after the weekend!

The main moment that stands out, is when we'd had a business type chat for a while, and then he said, 'so is there anything about the situation that you're not sure about so far? and I want you to be honest...'

So I was honest.

Diplomatic, but honest.

I told him and his wife that I was not happy with the state of the office, not the furnishings and trimmings, but the layer of dirt over everything (!) and the look they gave each other was like a weight lifting immediately off my mind, and the solution they came up with was more than I would have hoped for.

The fact is, the woman who has run the office for 8 years is the horsey type who does not mind all the dust and shite you can throw her way.

My new boss and his wife however, as completely horsey as they are, are not like that, and their house is beautiful and immaculate.

They both said that they were really happy that I'd brought it up, and that they want to to completely refurbish the office when 'you....ahem...the new person....joins'!!! LOL! Great little moment of clarity and relief.

They'd had a huge response to their ad and had seen many people, and the call to confirm that I had the job was one of the warmest and exciting I've ever had!

I'm used to getting the jobs I go for, but I will remember the words of the offer for a long time to come!

Maybe it will seem abit big-headed or arrogant sounding to quote it, but I am so chuffed,and it is not intended in any way to sound as such. It's just that the way things turned out with the last job, have been less than cool really. I take my responsibility on the chin, and after the way I just got effectively sacked, I think it must be proven that I'm not unemployable!!

' We'd love it if you'd come and work with us.......I feel it's really important that I have the right person working with me.'

How warm d'ya want it???!!!

There's no grand terms, no pension or health care scheme, no profit share.

But there's horses, and the lovely countryside I live just 10 zippy Smart car minutes from, Argentinian Polo players, dogs, responsibility and expectation placed on my hard won skills, sheep, instant honesty, a welcome, the smell of leather, inclusion in plans, a family run business, with loyal employees, and just to make me feel even more ok with all that, a decent wage.

I'll let you know if this is not a good thing.

18 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Hello Katey, I hope you enjoy it but be prepared to work extra hours...farms tend to be 24 hour things although I don't expect they'll need you at 3am to help foal a mare...:-)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and if you need to ask anything (farming, horsey and nutrition wise) then just ask.

Between Argentina and England we have the best polo players, they have the best if push came to shove and the Americans are getting good too.

P.S. if you get a strange message from a Loony Kate then blame me!

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

Congratulations, Kate. I'm glad you weren't out of work for long. I really do hope this one works out O.K.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Span.

I'm not actually working on the farm.

I'm working as the owners PA, but the loveliness is all going on just outside the office window.

I start tomorrow and am feeling really positive.

Thank you for the offer of advice and help, but they have a feed merchant business and sell their own brand feed etc.

There is also a tack shop and it all seems very cosy indeed!

I shall kepp you posted!

K x

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:57:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Thanks you LPJ.

I am really hoping this'll be me sorted for a while......watch this space I suppose!

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:58:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

That sounds like a laugh, much more you I feel

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Oh Katey!...if they have their own feed brand then there's even MORE reason to ask!...that's what I do! well...it's a little bit more complicatedbut the end result is what the animals eat!

Plus...don't be fooled...office PA...hmmmmmmmmmmm...Katey just come to the yard for a few minutes will you, the lads are away and we need a hand...hold this...no, that's her uterus..just hold it up while I push it back in...;-)

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:26:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Katey, congratulations! If it feels good then chances are it will be good.

My only problem with it would be the smell of all that horse shit, I mean manure! Still if they want to offload (ho ho off-load, what a wit I am, listening to 11 year olds on a daily basis makes your brain as crude and stupid as theirs)it I have a garden ready and waiting if they want to ship it up.

Good luck and have fun and let us know how you get on.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Sounds great K, how was your first day?

Just because Span is never happier than when his arm is up a cow's arse doesn't mean to say that farming isn't a business requiring office work!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I'm glad you said 'arm' Gavin: this shows you know I'm not REALLY naughty...;-)

Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Span, the cow might notice an arm, I scarcely think your other attributes would be noticed...

Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

It's the deed Gavin, not whether the bovine would notice! "She didn't feel a thing your honour"is no defence!...;-)

Friday, January 13, 2006 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Thanks everyone.

So far, it's been great!

I've been absolutely knackered all week, what with learningthe system and trying to retain all the information, but I reckon I'll be just fine.

K x

Friday, January 13, 2006 6:01:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Goodo Lena...sorry about the mess of this comments column...blush

Friday, January 13, 2006 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Are you still doing your English A level?

Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Gav,

I sure am!

The reading list changed slightly, so I've just started the first novel on the list, which is Michael Frayn's 'Spies'.

I am enjoying it very much so far.

K x

Saturday, January 14, 2006 4:18:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I didn't answer your question about a Beowulf text - I've just realised sorry!

Translation-wise the copy I have is still on my shelf - just the Penguin version, with my name inside the front cover dated 1980 - perchase price the princely sum of 75p!

It was deeply frowned upon by my tutors as not a literal translation.

Seamus Heaney did a much acclaimed new version about 5 years ago but I'm still waiting for one of my kids to pick up on the fact that I might like a copy! (You can't rush these things).

Saturday, January 14, 2006 6:50:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Purchase! I'm incompetent not illiterate!

Saturday, January 14, 2006 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Cheers Gav.

I have all the ISBN's for the editions I need, and I'm hoping that it'll be a 'kind' version that I'm expected to read!

I get the feeling it won't be an easy one..!

K x

Sunday, January 15, 2006 10:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home