Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Storms and tea-cups

I am just enjoying the privilege of watching a pretty spectacular, but largely silent lightning storm.

The thunder is rumbling now, but the silent light show that came for a good 30 minutes before it, has been stunning! It continues to be so now that it is going for it, and is in fact getting better as the minutes pass!
For those of you in Berkshire (Gav, Augustus) I expect you've seen it already, or it's on it's way!
It's raining hard now, the wind is whipping up, and it's got that lovely smell that makes you want to go out walking in it.

I have made a point of enjoying the view these last couple of weeks, as there are changes going on that might just mean it's not my view for very much longer.

I always seem to put the kiss of death on things when I post them on here, but there is a very real possibility that I might move.

There are few places that I would give up my view for; I've seen picture postcard views of rainbows, full moons, storms, stars and best of all, Mars ( I can see the factory in Slough in the distance from here, but I'm talking about the planet, when it was visible to the naked eye a couple of years back!)

But an opportunity is there to exchange to a house about 6 miles away, that is located in THE single most amazing location I can imagine a person in my situation, living.

I don't really want to wax lyrical about all the details, but believe me, this is a tiny bit special.

I'm happy enough here, and I have always felt safe. But when I look into the future, I can see what level of contentment living here will bring; I'm living it already. I am as happy as I can be here.
I have no way of knowing what a living environment more fitting to what I have in my head will bring. That all sounds very grand, but it's very simple things.

First and foremost, I've wanted a garden for a long time. This new little house has a garden, and much more. It has cows over the fence. It has the woods. It has peace.

Then there's the changing face of the place where I live.

They are mostly good souls, and I have been blessed with past and current neighbours. The problem is, they are all having more babies, moving on. There's always this tide of new folks, they stay for 2, 3, maybe 4 years and then gone.
There are lots of single men being given the one bedroom accomodations recently too, and I have no objection to that at all. But more often than not, they are transitional in one way or another. You never know who you're going to get, and even those who you live well with, the famillies who are peaceable, respectful and worthy of being given a decent place to live, seem to get moved on to pastures new when their families grow.
All the older people who used to be here are either dying, or are never seen by anyone other than the home help anymore, or have been moved to warden controlled places, bungalows, or old folks homes.

I've been a permanent resident here for 16 years, and this is the first real opportunity that has ever come up to move on myself.

Aside from all this, I like the idea of the change.

Like I've said, I know the limitations that living here puts on my sense of contentment, and it would be good to shake off the cobwebs of indifference and procrastination. Change is good, and when all pointers suggest it's a good thing, I think I'd like to see what happens.

I shall post more as the plan comes together or falls flat on it's face!

2 Comments:

Blogger Crispin Heath said...

I think most moves, throw up these contrary emotions. On the one hand the opportunity seems amazing and everything you imagined you wanted and on the other you know you'll miss the safety of the present.

Go for it I hope you get it, I would definitely recommend a garden.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I agree with six and would add that running naked around the agrden is much more exhilirating than running naked round an apartment.....a friend told me :-/

I also love storms and have witnessed some spectacular ones, in fact I was in Canada when a bolt of lightning destroyed an electric power terminal felling several 'telegraph' poles in the process...all only a few yards from me (gulps)

Friday, July 28, 2006 11:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home