Monday, July 10, 2006

I'm allergic to work

Not just in the sense that my life feels like it could be so much better spent, than working for a bigoted, antiquated, clique-ridden set-up, but quite literally allergic to the place itself.

In the six months that I have worked on the farm, I have had a constant sore throat, a snotty nose, a chest that rattles like a lobster cage and a head stuffed with fluff.

Not once (derrrrrrr!) has it occurred to me that I am constantly sitting in a layer of hay, straw, shavings and feed dust.

With just a few days away from the place, I can feel it all clearing.

I should have realised that all was not well. I'm not a sickly kid, and generally get 2 colds a year (summer and winter varieties) that NEVER result in my chest and throat feeling like they have a cluster of oysters residing in them.

This is good news to actually identify this thing, but not so good for the CV or the equilibrum.

Six months doesn't look good, and I hate the whole load of poo that comes with leaving a job, letting people down, explaining to new employers......it really is a bit rubbish.

But I really have to also consider the fact that I'm really not happy to imagine myself in such a backwater shithole for the rest of my days, where email and accounting packages are considered devils work! Feels too much like getting left behind.

So, here we go again.

I've already applied somewhere else and if all else fails, will just keep on until I can find something that isn't going to give me asthma, ulcers or severe depression!

I'm sure someone once mentioned that I was a "princess", and I'm just wondering when the whole princessing deal will start and I can just flounce around in fine fabrics, sipping expensive, chilled beverages. And we can put all this silly talk of 'work' to one side..............

13 Comments:

Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Lol. I feel your pain, however it does make me giggle watching your enthusiasm for your new jobs drain away over the weeks. Sorry.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi ! You leave Katey alone. It's not her fault that this one turned out bad - plus she didn't mention the compensations. The going home at lunchtime, spending time with her boy, the polo players in tight tight trousers . . . .

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:03:00 AM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Shame on you Six!

It really is not the job, which I have found to be novel as I pore over the abacus by gaslight....seriously, it is not a cool situation as far as my health has been concerned.

I'm actually signed off for a couple of weeks because it's just getting silly!

The there's the unconcealed bigotry and racism......

I mean Six, when was the last time you heard the word 'coon' bandied about in your daily working life????

I have asked him to define the word for me, and enquired if it's ok that I have a mixed race stepson, and still keep my job....

K xxx

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Thank you D.

I knew you'd understand that the prospect of leaving those tight, tight trousers, is a harrowing one.

You're a true pal.

K xxxx

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:16:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Katey, I am so very sorry that this hasn't worked out for you. Your health is far more important than some job and I mean mental health as well as physical.

Is there any way that you could do some temping for a while? It is the holiday season and I'm sure the agencies must be screaming out for temps. At least that might give you some breathing space to think things through.

I don't know what your employment history is like apart from that since I have started this blogging thing you have two jobs. However if you are a 'flighty' piece like my sister, temping may be your saviour as it was for her, a few years ago. She temped for a couple of years and enjoyed it immensely. Then she got seduced by a permanent offer after temping somewhere for 4 months. Bad move because it resulted in an unfair dismissal case. She's just taken collection of 14K in compensation and is on holiday!! However she went back to temping again and is happy once more.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:32:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

I did say sorry, sorry. Didn't realise it had got you that bad. I think I last heard the word coon at St George's Hill golf day, so I know exactly where you're coming from

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:21:00 AM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

I feel terribly guilty now.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:34:00 AM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

Hi K,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

I think Mags has a good point with the temping suggestion. I came close to leaving here and going to do Agency work but a health scare put paid to that.

I do hope you find something soon.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:09:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Is it an actual allergy or is it just too much dust?

It could be psychosematic (sp?) and your body is reacting to oldcan'tkickthe habitandwehadanempireyouknowandisreallyaclosetracistitis of the crowd where you work.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

How strange that tempting should come up, as I was discussing exactly that this afternoon!

I'm giving it due consideration, as it appears to have a few things that would be ok for me right now.

K xx

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:01:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Oh Six! Don't feel bad.

It's one of those situations in life that I can change, so that's what I'm doing.

It would be so much worse if I got stuck there for years.

I am very sorry that I won't be working with a couple of the folks there, but it's the least of my considerations.

So, put all guilt aside my good man. I'm over it already!

K xxxxx

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hey Span.

I reckon it's the sheer volume of dust, if you want my opinion on the thing.

There is a constant layer over everything I work with, and I have never been in such an environment to know how I'll physically react to it.

It's like constant hayfever, but seriously woolly-headed.

Anyhoo, there's life in the old dog yet, so while that it the case, I'll always find a way.

K xxx

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Oh Mags! Did you see what I wrote there, in my reply to you???? LOL!!!!

Freudian, or perhaps a whole new career!!!!!!

Tempting indeed!


K xxxx

Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home