Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Old fashioned love songs

I was watching the X Factor at the weekend, and there is a chap called Andy who sang Nat King Cole's 'Unforgettable'. It has to be said, he did a bloody good job of it.

I was listening to the lyrics and the arrangement, and it got me thinking about all the songs of this era and others of the same nature from various times throughout popular music history.

Songs like this are timeless and universally classic. They raise such emotion and meaning, so long after they were the 'in' thing. There are few, if any, true modern classics.

So, I sat and considered the old CD collection, and the music that my beautiful mum encouraged us all to listen to as kids, and I realised that it is the undeniable but understated passion of the words, the subtlety and allusion, rather than the out and out sexual intention or heartfelt declarations, that make these songs so special.

Consider;

Unforgettable
That´s what you are,
Unforgettable
Tho´ near or far.
Like a song of love that clings to me,
How the thought of you does things to me.
Never before
Has someone been more...

Unforgettable
In every way,
And forever more
That´s how you´ll stay.
That´s why, darling, it´s incredible
That someone so unforgettable
Thinks that I am
Unforgettable, too.


Beautiful.

Just blowing on the wind in it's content, but yet so full of weight and depth and meaning. Timeless and all encompassing. For anyone and everyone who has ever been in love, no matter age or background.

The kind of song you can put on the stereo and invite your lover to dance with you to.

An old fashioned song, for something that will never be out of fashion - Pure and simple Love.

8 Comments:

Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Lena, it reminds me of the first dance at my wedding. A song by Divine Comedy called If... from the album a Short Album about Love. and it went like this:

If you were the road
I'd go all the way
If you were the night
I'd sleep in the day
If you were the day
I'd cry in the night
'Cause you are the way
The truth and the light
If you were a tree
I could put my arms around you
And you could not complain
If you were a tree
I could carve my name into your side
And you would not cry,
'Cos trees don't cry

If you were a man
I would still love you
If you were a drink
I'd drink my fill of you
If you were attacked
I would kill for you
If your name was Jack
I'd change mine to Jill for you
If you were a horse
I'd clean the crap out of your stable
And never once complain
If you were a horse
I could ride you through the fields at dawn
Through the day until the day was gone
I could sing about you in my songs
As we rode away into the setting sun

If you were my little girl
I would find it hard to let you go
If you were my sister
I would find it doubly so
If you were a dog
I'd feed you scraps from off the table
Though my wife complains
If you were my dog
I am sure you'd like it better
Then you'd be my loyal four legged friend
You'd never have to think again
And we could be together till the end

Twisted isn't it. But it's beautiful none the less.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

I just remembered I once used a song as a reading at a friends wedding. It was as good a poem as it was song:

Let there be you,
Let there be me.
Let there be oysters
Under the sea.

Let there be wind,
An occassional rain.
Chile con carne,
Sparkling champagne --

Let there be birds
To sing in the trees,
Someone to bless me
Whenever I sneeze.

Let there be cuckoos,
A lark and a dove,
But first of all, please --
Let there be love.

Let there be love - Nat King Cole


It went down an absolute storm I'm proud to say as for once no one had heard it as a wedding reading.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Thank you for these wonderful contributions Six.

And I can't tell you what a top idea the lyrics as a poem was!

A nickable idea if ever I heard one.

K x

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 7:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hi Ian,

My son was telling me just this afternoon how much he likes Frank Sinatra.

He was really quite eloquent in his reasons for his admiration, saying that the level of class and male appeal was outstanding. He's of course, quite right.

K x

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 7:57:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Frank Sinatra?!!!...just a lousy crooner..chnage Charlie's mind...probably a peer thing.

Nat King Cole...a God... in English and Spanish one of the very greats...very great???is that the right way of saying it?

Nature Boy and Mona Lisa are personal favourites but there sre many more...enjoy

Don't forget what i said about Frank...Alan Bennet was streaks ahead.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Just to calrify...Nature Boy...

There was a boy
A very strange enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far, very far
Over land and sea
A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he

And then one day
A magic day he passed my way
And while we spoke of many things
Fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.S. sorry to spam you...Nature Boy...that's me..in more ways than one...!!!!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Nick away please! It's a guaranteed winner with young and old alike.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 7:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home