Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Best Laid Plans.......................

It was all going so well..............

And then I get a call... phone rang at 19.20..... My gorgeous, but alcohol seasoned Nephew trying to keep my gorgeous, and absolutely alcohol unseasoned Son from hurting himself, and others....a 16 year old boy that chooses not to drink usually, because he knows he can't cope physically with the effects of alcohol, but moreover, chooses not to drink because he does not like the way it makes people behave.

But just for one night, at his first works Christmas party, he chooses to follow his adult peers, and go with the status quo....To near disaterous consequences, frankly!!! Not for me though, really, when all is absolutely said and done; Been there. Done that. But my boy has paid for his choice.

I was just about to leave for the Fat Boy gig, and said Nephew calls in a right state, saying he can't control C, they've been thrown out of a pub and he's trying to start a fight with the world and his brother! He won't listen to a word of reason, nobody will help my Nephew by calling the Police, when he's begging them to!

Apparently a girl in the pub had accused him of pinching her bum (which I truly cannot see being the case, even with alcohol under his skin) and he denied it as strongly as he could. She wouldn't have it, and was shouting at him and other blokes were getting involved. He got seriously stressed, and the rest continues............

I'm in Windsor, they're in Richmond. Terrific!

So I jump in the car, telling my Nephew just to keep sight of him and to try not to do anything daft, but he'd had plenty to drink himself, and really didn't feel in control.

In the end, he pinned C to the ground and dialled the Police himself.

When they got there, they arrested C for drunk and disorderly.

I was over at Twickenham Police station within 40 minutes, and by the time I got there, he was KO'd in a cell, sleeping off what turns out to be just a few beers, but also tequilla I think, judging by the smell of him the next day. God I hate that shit, and for damn good reason, but that is another blog entirely!

Anyway, I sat there for 2 and half hours, waiting for a doctor to look at him and decide if he was fit to take his caution and 'Ticket' - a new scheme that gives a ticket instead of a court appearance, that costs £80.

The upshot is, he was far from fit, still staggering around and just needing to lie down and sleep so I had to leave him there all night, and go back first thing Saturday morning, without even having glimpsed my son. Not nice.

He woke up in the morning, with no clue where he was or why he was there. Could not, and still cannot, remember a thing.

He's so sorry, and really resolute that he was right; drinking is not for him.

It is a first for us both, and I am over the disappointment about not making the gig in the end.

I was absolutely shitting my pants on the drive over to Richmond to get him, and it's a mother's lot in life to forget anger, and just let relief work it's magic.

I'm really proud of my Nephew. He was really upset that he'd had to have C arrested, but he knows it was the best thing to do now.

So, I shall resolve never to be so bloody smug about my plans ever again!! That'll learn me!

12 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Hey K, they all do it - even Prime Minister's sons! One more milestone passed!

Monday, December 19, 2005 1:21:00 PM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

I can imagine how you must've felt : two of my kids are teenagers. I don't think you need to worry too much about the caution and a criminal record. On job applications I've only ever seen questions relating to actual convictions and a caution doesn't stay on the Police computer forever. Look on the bright side : he didn't wind up in hospital. Last August one of my daughters friends was knocked down and killed on the way home from a party.

Monday, December 19, 2005 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger flyingfinn said...

I remember when I was about sixteen. me and my mates bought some beer. I had four cans of super Tennant's. I was absoluitely wasted. I fell asleep in the middle of the pavement. My friends phoned my mum to pick me up. I remember her not being too happy, to say the least.

These kind of things happen to us all. it's all part of the trail and error of growing up, I suppose. Unfortunately, it's parents who have to suffer all the worry at that moment in time.

Monday, December 19, 2005 6:49:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

...so you left a trail Finny!...the police may be interested!...;-)

Poor Charlie,Katey..to live in these troubled times...you,me, Gavin, Six, Finny, Mags etc have all been 'blessed' with not having the police on our backs...

Monday, December 19, 2005 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hey Gav,

An excellent example mate, and I thank you!

I told C about this, and he smiled happily, feeling that bit less of a chav!

I love that boy!

K x

Monday, December 19, 2005 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hi there LPJ,

Nothing could worry me once I know he's safe.

Things can always be so much worse can't they?

K x

Monday, December 19, 2005 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Finn!

I remeber coming home aged 15, absolutely plastered on wine.

I was 4 hours late home, and decided I would pretend I'd been knocking for AGES!

She did not believe me.

K x

Monday, December 19, 2005 10:29:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Sounds as though it was for the best in the end despite your evening being ruined....bet he feels very guilty about that! He's learned and he had to do it himself. Much as we would love to we cannot make these mistakes on behalf of our children.

I hope you get your fantastic weekend soon!

BTW, where was he in Richmond. I worked there for 7 years and know those pubs as if they were my own living room!

Monday, December 19, 2005 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

He's in good company K! Last year I had to carry the Chairman of the Governor's daughter to his car after the cast party. This was after Mrs C spending an hour with her preventing her from losing teeth on the rim of the loo bowl and holding her hair out of the vomit!

I hasten to say she arrived at the party in that condition - we didn't do it to her!

They brought her back two days later and made her knock the door with chocolates and an apology - poor lamb - her ebarrassment was palpable!

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hiya Mags,

I'm totally over it.

He keeps offering the money to buy me any tickets, to any gig I want!

Bless him! I told him to pay the bloody Fine first!!

K x

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:43:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

I shall tell you all about a terrible tequilla moment that I had not so many years ago....I shall write a blog.

K x

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:45:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

My brother got done for possession when he was 17 and he's absolutely fine. Sounds like Charlie's pretty level headed I'm sure he'll be fine

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home