Monday, December 12, 2005

Amir Khan.....what a little blinder!

Did anyone see Amir do his thing the other night?

Man! That boy can box!

I am spellbound!

Amir Khan is 19 years old, and is stunning to watch.

He performed so beautifully on saturday night, fighting a guy called, I think, Thomas(?) Thorpe, and it was simply 'job done.He's a very likeable young man too.

I am a bit of a fan of boxing oddly enough, as I'm a peace loving soul. I can argue and rant with the very best of them, but violence? No thanks.

Many years ago though, I saw a video of the fight between Marvin Hagler & Sugar Ray Leonard, and I have been ever so slightly hooked, ever since.

It was simply the most skillful and proper boxing match I have ever seen.

Sugar Ray was poetry in motion, with the onus being on BOXING, not smashing the other guy to the canvas in an all-singing, all-dancing KO.

He weaved and wound his way through the game in a way I have never seen, with a skill and knowledge of the true essence of boxing that just does not exist now. I urge you to watch it. You will see what I mean.

You only have to have watched a bit of the following fight on saturday night, between Danny Williams and Audley Harrison; the crowd were actually baying for a tear-up, a knock out or nothing, and seem to have no appreciation for the art.

Since Mike Tyson's day, the boxing crowds of televised fights seem to have changed. There has been mass crowd fighting over recent years, after the fight is finished.

It's about laying stinging blows, but more about dodging them, and that fight with Sugar Ray and Haglar was perfection in that sense.

I have been waiting to see that again ever since, but no joy to date.

But young Amir was bloody brilliant, and got full respect from the other man. He's only had 4 professional fights to date, and has won them all. He's humble and open, and I'm going to enjoy catching this young man growing through his career.

As for 'Thorpey' who so graciously took his defeat on saturday night, he obviously didn't know what it was actually like to take a full smack from young Amir.....he does now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Linda Mason said...

Ha Kayfer, quit the boxing talk and admit it. You were preving over Amir, weren't you?

(I was.)

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:11:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

You little pervers!...planes to Barcelona every hour...;-)...


Boxing is about fighting Kayfer but I too watched many Sugar Ray Fights in the late 70's and (early) 80's. He started as a professional ONLY because his family neede money, he had a charm and charisma too. That was 'back in the day', Dave Boy Green (mine andmy mates favorite; his fight brought SRL to our attention) Roberto Duran etc.

These days Ricky Hatton is the man (but no charm or charisma!)..oooer, I hope he didn't hear me say that!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:27:00 AM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Ok people! You've got me!

He is rather cute......Too pretty to get hit in the face!

But damn, he's a hot-stepper too and I'll be buggered if I want a slap in the chops from him!

K x

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hi MN,

Exactly my point about the other two.

It was pantsw.

Audley was hoping to beat the other matey into submission through utter boredom alone, and the other one was such lump, that no amount of body blows were going to translate through to the actual nerve endings!

And Naz has piled on the timber a bit too!

K x

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:32:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

khan is a young prince Naz, looka and all...he was ace at his peak...I think you need a bit of 'the arrogant oik' to get on...you have to BELIEVE and to do that you have to be proud and loud.

...not too sure about the leopard-skin pattern shorts though...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Howdy Spanish!

I agree, I liked Naz's style; but if you can be filthy gorgeous without arrogance and leopard skin boxers, you da man!!!

AMIR! AMIR!.........

Friday, December 16, 2005 12:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home