Saturday, December 03, 2005

STR33TER 1

That is the number plate on his wheelchair.

Streeter1; my nephew.

Not by blood, but by time and investment, I feel.
G's blood, but I've known this boy since he was 3 years old.

He's 15 now, and as anyone from the Boards who knows me is aware, he was knocked down by a car a little over a year ago, and has been paralysed from just below the neck, ever since.

If I could put him into words, I would.

But I can't.

It has just been simply breath-taking and humbling and heart-breaking.

But still he smiles like pure sunshine, he's back to lapping up the education he was enjoying, he's still so quick to laugh like a drain at the silliest things, and has the sweetest network of mates that a young man could wish for!

And he has them running round a treat, apparently!

Him and his best mate go out all day long, and his lovely mum worried in the beginning about his wee bottle filling and 'stuff'.
It turns out that his mate was taking care of business; emptying it and making sure tablets were taken when they should be etc.

Heart-warming to say the least.
From a 14 year old boy.
A mate.
A friend.

The terrible accident that happened at the end of last summer, has been a real education.

Mostly for the man himself, of course.

But for his mum (D), dad (M), his sister (R), his Granmother (P) and of course his Uncle G.

But for those of us, his mates, his mum's partner, me, girls that were just about feeling to feel him (there is still no shortage still waiting to do so, to be fair!), neighbours, teachers......we've all had to adjust to the reality.
I really don't compare this to the adjustments of his immediate kin.
But I'm close enough to love him and to see the obstacles as they really are.


So, I dedicate this blog post to the remarkable young fellow that is STR33ER1.

He's the Don.

7 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

...it's times and situations like these you mention Kayfer that teach you who your real friends are...not the fair-weather aquaintances, but FRIENDS. Heart-warming to say the least.

Saturday, December 03, 2005 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Heart warming but SOOOOOOOO unfair! It just goes to reaffirm my conviction that there is no god. Or at least if there is a god he is a vengeful aribrary and capricious one!

Saturday, December 03, 2005 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Fellas,

Thanks for posting.

He really is a remarkable lad, but I still have not got my mind around the injustice of it all.

Still, if he never asks 'why me', I guess none of us should.

K x

Saturday, December 03, 2005 2:33:00 PM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

I'm always amazed how well people seem to bear up in the face of such adversity. I'm sure if anything like that happened to me I'd very quickly become bitter and twisted.

Span Ows is right : at times like this you really do find out who your friends are

Sunday, December 04, 2005 7:51:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hi LPJ,
I wondered the same thing about myself at the time, to be honest. It's not something that can be answered I suppose.
But that has been the amazing thing about him; he is simply getting on with his life.
Maybe it's youth, or the support, or the attitude that was there in the first place. Maybe it's all of them.

Who knows eh?

The pictures that have been published of Abigail Witchells, also show me the light of a person who will live a full life, despite the challenges.


I can only admire the qualities in a person that enable them to be like that.

K x

Monday, December 05, 2005 8:57:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Do any of your offline friends know about your blog? Reason I ask is I wondered what they thought. This is a really lovely tribute, but would your nephew. I'm getting a bit of grief off Nic because off my blog, she worries I'm creating a separate reality for myself, but it's absolutely not meant that way I literally want to get things off my chest when I think of them, plus there's a frustrated journalist and occassional narcisist in there.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:44:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Six,

I see your point, but I have not given the address to any offline friends.

I don't need to really, because I talk to them about any of the serious stuff that's here, so they'd be sick of me if I forced them to deal with all in written form too!

It is a hard thing to explain to anyone who isn't blogging or doesn't entirely approve of something about it, but it'd be a hard thing not to have now.

It's therapy!

K x

Thursday, December 08, 2005 7:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home