Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A mention for Morisette

I've been re-listening to the wonderful sound of Alanis recently.

I'm no expert; I only have 2 albums of hers. But the quality of the thinking, the emotion and experience behind the work, leaves me in such admiration.

Of course, one of these albums is 'Jagged Little Pill', and having sold somewhere like 30million copies, it's safe to say it's not beyond anyone's attention.

I personally think it's a Masterpiece, but these things are a matter of taste, and often timing.

Lyrically, it's strong, true and universal, regardless of the very seriously personal perspective it was written from.

In it's musical arrangement, it is flawless. The bass, the drums, the percussion, her voice.
Enough rock to rock, enough roll to roll.

I also have 'Under Rug Swept'.

The favourite song on this album is called 'Flinch'. It is really quite something...

It's not in the same league as 'Jagged Little Pill', but it could not possibly be. After all, there is no favourite I can tell you of on that because it a seamless wonder.

But the whole thing is worthy of attention nonetheless, in my humble opinion.

She celebrated the 10th anniversary of 'Jagged Little Pill' very recently, and released an accoustic version of the album.

It is very good. Really well done.


But as I listen to her belt out the original as I post this, there really is nothing quite like it.

16 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Tad depressing though isn't she?

Thursday, December 01, 2005 1:41:00 AM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

Believe it or not I am not familiar with "Jagged Little Pill". I did see AM singing a Dylan song on telly a couple of weeks ago and she did it very well.

If the acoustic version of an album works them it must be a good one.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Oh god, she drives me up the wall. I just can't listen. It's not so much the lyrics than her voice.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 5:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is "Under Rug Swept" the one with "Narcissus Boy" on it? That's the one that always reminds me of the men I've gotten involved with. Agreed on "JLP". Good stuff. Timeless as well.

And Gavin, hardly depressing. She went all soft for awhile. It just depends on whether or not she's in love.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Gav,

To each his own of course, and I guess you have to have at least experienced a level of bitterness to get her, but take a listen to 'You oughta know', and as much as this song is about real rejection, replacement and resignation of the bitterest order, it is delivered with enough punch to lift you off your feet.

K x

Friday, December 02, 2005 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Les Paul Jnr,

You must know it.

You oughta know!! IMHO.

K x

Friday, December 02, 2005 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Six,

I do actually know what you are sdaying here, but listen to the hidden track at the end of JLP. It is an acapella song, and I think her voice is utterly pure sex for the ears.

K x

Friday, December 02, 2005 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Sleepy,

It is indeed that album, and it is one of the better tracks on it.

The forst four tracks are outstanding.

Flinch is enough to make me wobbly!

K x

Friday, December 02, 2005 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

In fact, you can play Hand in my pocket, at my funeral!

KK xxxx

Friday, December 02, 2005 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Oh Gav,

Listen to Head over Feet to be really warm all day!

K x

Friday, December 02, 2005 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

And the lyrics to 'You Learn' are so very amusing.

And then so very touching.

K x

Saturday, December 03, 2005 12:07:00 AM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Play hand in your pocket?...sounds fun but at your funeral it would be a bit late, no?

Saturday, December 03, 2005 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Spanish, it's too late for any song other than one entitled 'Goodbye'!!!!

Might as well be tongue in cheek and a bit easy on the ear.

K x

Saturday, December 03, 2005 2:35:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

I'm with Kayfer on this one. JLP is one of my all time favourite albums mainly for the very raw emotion that is displayed throughout but also there are some great lines in some of the songs that sum things up so brilliantly.

I agree about the hidden track btw although it isn't a 'sex' thing for me, more total heartbreak. I remember the feeling she is putting over so well from those angst ridden teenage years.

Saturday, December 03, 2005 3:47:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I'm just not bitter then! Anyone for a Stella?

Saturday, December 03, 2005 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

I'll have a Stella Gav

Sunday, December 04, 2005 7:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home