Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Pass the smelling salts!

I am in utter shock...........................

I have just gone through getting half a dozen quotes for insurance for The Boy, so that he can make use of the car that he has now owned for 9 months, and has waited so patiently to drive.

I cannot believe the figures that are flashing up before my eyes.

Thus far, I have prices ranging from £1,779.000 to £3,542.00!! I mean they throw in a courtesy car for this last astronomical sum of money, but I'd want the lad chauffeured around with a back seat full of bee-hutches for that kind of dosh!

This is no fancy car we are talking about here; it's an 8 year old, 1000cc Polo. Tidy, but no modifications, no fat wheels or window shaking exhausts.

In fact, up until I got the Smart, it was his mum's car!!

While I realise that there has to be some kind of balance applied for the group of drivers that we are told cause the most problems, there are quite literally tens of thousands of young men out there, who simply want to get from A to B in the same manner the rest of us do.

I really think it is an unnecessary discrimination, that apparently does not work as any kind of detterrent to those who would speed around the streets like fucking maniacs, as they are still the ones apparently causing the problems.
I see many young men in the sixth form, going to the local boys school in their cars, and it seems to me that they are doing ok with the whole responsibility of it all.

Surely the kind of person you are should play it's part in this matter.

I think it's highly telling and very relevant if a young man is working or still studying at school, or is unemployed and not in education, if he is part of clubs or sports teams, whether he has a criminal record or not.

We're all given statistics to dwell on about what makes a person more likely to be a good citizen and what doesn't, so why can this not apply to the simple process of learning to drive?

I'm not saying it should be simple to get a no claims bonus; that should be hard earned. But it's ridiculous and really very unfair to put up this exclusion before a chap gets to even try to prove himself.

Ok. Plan B.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Only one way to do it. You re-insure yourself for the polo put him on as a named driver. Then forego your no claims and insure yourself for the Smart.

If he was a girl it would be hundreds less....

Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger flyingfinn said...

Was it fully-comp? Just get third party, fully-comp is a waste of money, and quite frankly a con.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Gavin's right.

Have you tried Admiral they've always come up trumps for me. having said that though Nic and I Driven for 15 years, currently no points, 4 years no claims. Still £1,400

Thursday, January 26, 2006 5:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Phew!

Plan B was going to be re-naming him as Charlotte and making him wear a dress!!

K x

Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:32:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

hello Finn,

Nope, just third party, fire and theft.

Unreal prices, but I think we'll just go with the named driver plan.

K x

Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:33:00 PM  
Blogger Mister Frost said...

Ouch. That's painful.

Every so often the police set up at the end of my road trapping drivers coming off the A4 & A329. The last time was November when they were targetting road tax evaders. At one point they had 17 (!!) cars and miffed drivers parked up waiting for their summons.

The amount of people who don't have a license at all is also shocking. I had a female friend who was asked in my ear shot if she could drive. "Yes, I love it. I haven't got a license but I know a bloke who sells them out the back of his kebab shop. £200, I'm going to get one when I get paid... " No sense of wrongdoing whatsoever. Nice of you and your son to fund her and her mates. You're stars that what you are!

Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:15:00 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Blimey thats sneaky Gavin, Is it 100% legal though? Still more legal than none I suppose(?)
Lena, I hear some parents buy the cheapest new car , that comes with a years free insurance. Sort of 'buy the insurance get a free car' deal !

Friday, January 27, 2006 5:22:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Of course it's legal! Pah!

Monday, January 30, 2006 1:35:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

And Finn, check on that 3rd Party thing - often fully comp is actually cheaper!

Monday, January 30, 2006 1:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello MN.

Good to hear from you.

I have a cunning plan in place with this insurance malarky. Nothing illegal, but someone has very kindly offered to have him as their named driver because they drive a company van on a daily basis so hold no policies of their own!

The treasury actually make money out of car crime and claims, because the get that juicy tax. Fuckers.

Anyway, thanks for your really rather nice post on this.

I'm glad you visit the blog and like the threads, and like you I always visit everyone's blogs and have a read, even if I don't comment.

So, I shall remember that you have been here in spirit at least!

K x

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 6:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home