Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Walk like an Egyptian

I'm going to Egypt in March.

I am so excited, I just can't cope, to be honest!

My friend has bought an apartment that is metres from the bank of the Nile, and overlooks the Valley of the Kings.

She says it is like stepping back in time, with naked babies and chickens running in the street, and the meat man who hoofs a carcus up on a stand, hacks off bits for his customers, and when it's gone, it's gone.
She says the local women have been so friendly and open, and she can get a smoke off the fishermen! Her neighbour is an Englishman, and to make sure he'd be as helpful as she might need him to be, she took him all the means to brew his own Guiness! Of course, he is suitably thrilled and cannot do enough for the girl.

She's only had 2 Scorpions in the kitchen thus far (ONLY 2!), but she is now well enough prepared and kitted-out, to make short shrift of any newcomers! Christ, I hope she's telling me the truth about that bit!!!

She's an amazing girl is our H.

She was basically left abandoned after 15 years of marriage and a seemingly idyllic life set up in France with her husband.

No shirker or wimp, she upped and left France, and went off to the Isle of Mull, all alone, and did a live-in job at a hotel.

After bumming about abit for a while and coming to terms with her lot, she went to Egypt with her parents for a holiday, and fell in love with the place. She's to'd and fro'd for the last year and ended up buying the apartment.

The rest is history, and she is now living there for as many months of the year as she can cope with the heat. She only went at the beginning of January, and I cannot wait to get out there and share some of her life for week.

Now that it's all booked, I'm going to be day dreaming rather alot, that's for sure!

2 Comments:

Blogger Name Witheld said...

Hi, K !

Holiday of a lifetime or what!! Staying with a friend will mean that you actually get to see the real Egypt and not the tourist version.

I hope you have a really great time.

P.S. Shame your not on the message board during the day. It's steadily going down the pan. I'm hoping to get broadband at home soon so maybe I'll bump into you there in the evening or weekend sometime!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Good eh LPJ?!?!

I hate being a tourist and I feel it's aocmplete privelage to be given a different view of a place. There is nothing like a resident to do that for the weary traveller!

It's nice to know I've been missed from the boards, and I have to say, it has not been the same just getting little snatched minutes, but work takes precedent and there is no computer at my desk anyway!

Get the broadband and hopefully we'll have a chat soon.

K x

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 6:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home