Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Prettiest Little Can of Worms in all of Buckinghamshire

That's one way to describe this soon-to-be-charming house.

To look at it, you'd think it was the little house on the prairie, but step inside, look closer...........

It is in fact, a money-grabbing, rotten little pear. The cutest, potential filled rotten little pear, but a rotten little pear nonetheless.

This poor house has been horribly neglected for so long, that there is nothing but horror after horror with alot of it. Nothing that can't be sorted without a lot of time and a heap of cash, but oh my days! Every job you do reveals another five that must be done before the job can be completed.

The move went as well as these things do, and there has been non-stop activity since. The first ten days was cleaning. So much crust and grease. A million dog hairs just everywhere; up the walls and under the floors and in the drains and matted around the damn shower head. Indeed, I have knitted several jumpers from it. One for each of you. I am still finding them in abundance, so if you catch a thread, no matter.
Truly, truly disgusting. And the odour was quite something to behold and then to shift. Thank the sweet Lord for Cif, soda crystals, rubber gloves and friends. Not necessarily in that order.

Anyhow, it's all mine now, and it's getting cosier and more like home as each day goes by. The association have done a few things that are their responsibility, so we'll get there if it kills us.

The location is still amazing me, and we have seen so many proper native species of creature that I thought were gone, I can hardly believe it. There are funky spiders and snails with proper squirly yellow and brown shells. We've had toads and little lizards in the garden and an owl hooting to it's baby. There are muntjac deer in the woods, and finches, herons, bats, rabbits and wildlife everywhere.
The cows that roam in there are coca-cola coloured, and they come right up to the fence and lick your hands.

So, for now I shall grab a glass of something cold and have a sit down in my newly appointed living room, and have a little chuckle to myself about my rather splendid fortune.

Tee hee...............

12 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

It sounds idyllic (realy!). Who'd want to live in a hermetically sealed clean white box anyway? Who wants maintenance free? You'd only blog if you had more time on your hands...welcome back by the way!

Friday, October 20, 2006 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Lovely Gav. How you doing?

There's nobody I'd sooner have welcome me back.

You are right of course about maintenance and mess. It's all very pleasing to make progress with each job you start. I'll crack the nut before it cracks me!

I hope all the Corder Crew are happy and well.

K xxx

Friday, October 20, 2006 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Mister Frost said...

Congrats K. Nothing quite like yer own place. Mind you, having heard your cleaning chores over the last little while I'm very glad you nixed my mail order bread idea!

Saturday, October 21, 2006 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

LOL Augustus.

Is there anything more stomach churning than hair in your food?

I think not.

Gag-a-rama.

K xx

Monday, October 23, 2006 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Younger Corders are hale and hearty. We lost my Dad on Friday though. Still he had a good innings!

Great to have you back!

Monday, October 23, 2006 3:29:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Brilliant, so glad it's worked out. I gulped a little at the opening sentences, but I'm glad you're seeing it as overcomeable.

Hope you're well.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

I'm really sorry to hear that Gav.

Personal mail on it's way.

K xx

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Howdy Six.

I've gulped, shouted, cried, flung myself down, picked myself up, flung myself down again....but it's getting there.

K xxx

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Good to see you here again Kate and pleased to hear that the move went well. I'd offer to pop down and help with the cleaning but despite the glowing report of this small part of paradise I have decided that you can do your own! Any photographs of this eden?

Friday, October 27, 2006 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Mags my lovely, I wouldn't put you throught it!

I really regret not taking some before and after shots, but I couldn't find the bloody camera! I know it put it one of the boxes....

I shall definitely post some pics though. It is rather cute.

K xx

Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

Nice to hear from you again.

Good Luck with all the renovation etc! I don't know how others might see it but there never seems to be enough time to do everything. And, of course, we all want it doing straightaway.

Be patient! (And don't take any shit from builders etc)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello LPJ.

We're getting there to a state that is very liveable now, and as long as I don't have to do any major jobs through the winter, i'l be very happy to make do with this.

K x

Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home