Sunday, September 30, 2007

Toby: part Dog, part Lion

I have a new, true love.

He's Jack Russell shaped and has grey-blue eyes.

To see him gamboling through the woods and losing his mind over a stick, you might be forgiven for thinking this is just your common or garden variety pooch.

But you'd be wrong.

For this little chap has hidden depths and reserves of courage that can only be found in the hearts of lions!

I came across Toby almost a month ago, whilst doing a run to the local dump.

He'd clearly been outdoors for a long time (and on closer inspection, I suspect his whole life might have been spent that way) but worse still, he'd obviously been involved in some kind of accident. At the time, it appeared he'd dislocated his rear left leg.

The location of the site is quite rural, with lots of woods and fields around it, and to get up there you have to take a windy lane. It's certainly an area where those of a mind might take a dog lamping for rabbits and the like.......

Anyway, he had no collar or name tag, was absolutely running alive with fleas and the pooh they so kindly leave throughout the fur, and he clearly hadn't had food or water for some time.

Still, I met with those beautiful eyes, and I fell arse-over-tit-in-love!

I took him to a local animal hospital, marvelling at how this terrified, exhausted little chap was allowing me to handle him, all without a snarl or an ounce of aggression.
In fact, he manouvered himself, despite the fact he must have been in terrible pain, so that he could cuddle up under my arm as I drove.

The vet looked him over and said he desperately needed rehydrating, and I told them that if he was not microchipped and nobody would claim him, that I wanted to take responsibility for paying for his care.

He was immediately de-fleaed, whisked away and put on a drip, and x-rays were taken the next day.

As it turned out, he had terrible breaks and fractures in both legs, with the left side pelvis actually broken away from the spine. Imagine, covered in fleas and no back legs to scratch with. It really must have been torturous, and I don't like to dwell for too long on what he must have been through.
The vet said an orthopaedic surgeon would need to look at the x-rays and that an operation to pin bits back together might be necessary. This, to the tune of around £2,500.............either that, or he'd probably have to be put down.

'Gutted' is the word that best describes my next set of emotions.

I just thought it was so bloody unfair that such a fate might be his; a little guy who'd already had it pretty rough (or should that be ruff.....?)
Fortunately my other half has a heart made of gold when it comes to such things, and along with lovely friends, well-meaning folk who were rooting for him, and other family members who all offered help with money, we opted to have the surgeon look at him to see what might be done. (For the record, a woman who was at the dump at the time I came across the dog, donated £10 to the cause. For that small, yet incredibly generous act, I hope she is blessed onehundredfold.)

Unlike the utter bastards who abandoned him. I hope misery befalls them at every turn.

There was a wait of a few days for the surgeon to take a look at the x-rays, and in the meantime the dog was hooked up to morphine for his pain. We considered naming him Pete Doggerty, as he seemed rather partial.

Anyway, the nice man had a look-see and said that he felt the breaks might fuse themselves together provided the dog was confined to cage rest! He saw no point in going in and operating, and as it had earlier transpired that Toby also has a heart murmur, it would have been risky.

I was made as happy as I've ever felt, right in that instant. Woohoo!!

I was allowed to collect him from the vet after 8 days, having hung on to a handful of change out of £600 (I know I will never be a morphine addict.....that shit costs, man!)

To my ever expanding joy and delight, this former no-mark-junkie-stinkpot-rat-dog is coming on a treat.

His pelvis has indeed fused back together, if a tad lopsidedly. He bounces along, positively dazzling with his bright, shiny, soft coat.
If I'd let him, he'd chase balls and sticks and walk for ages. But we all have to be patient for a couple of weeks more. He's moved on from the total cage rest and having to be carried in and out, but we keep the walks calm and short for now.
He's gentle and quiet, and infact has not once so much as barked. He pricks up his ears and wags for England and is just about the cutest, most sociable, dare I say, polite little dog I have ever come across.

I am always blown away by animals who have suffered because of humans , and yet their capacity for love and loyalty and gratitude stays with them.
It really is a very pure thing, and I consider that we are the ones who have been given a gift, in the form of this brave and utterly charming mutt.

I hope we have the pleasure of his company for a very long time.

8 Comments:

Blogger Name Witheld said...

That's a great story, K. I don't know how some people can be so cruel to animals. I mean....Why????

Nice to see you back in the blogosphere too. How are you doing?

Monday, October 01, 2007 9:31:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Wow...lovely stuff...BUT although it is all going on so well I would just like to point out that there is no evidence to suggest he has been treated badly by humans! He could have got lost and hit by a car, he could have been a farm dog ratting and got waylaid and hit by a car/lorry at the dump whilst hunting for rats or any number of reasonable explanations...or course, if he was the brunt of some callous twat then may they rot in hell.

That said, animals' pain threshhold seems far far more than humans, we're so soft these days. I really am happy that you did this and that Tobes (see, I'm already on nickname terms with him!) is performing and responding so well...also don't discount the possibility that he "can't" bark.

Be good and, echoing Shytalk, welcome back! :-)

Thursday, October 04, 2007 7:35:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

What has happened to my post? It was here...all about ratting and everything!

Pooh!

Thursday, October 04, 2007 7:38:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Ditto that good to see you back!

Animal are generally far more stoic than the owners of the pets.

And not just about pain. Our cat doesn't mind very much at all(although I grant you he has spent most of his life stuffed up someone's jumper or treated as a soft-toy/pillow/slipper). He 'talks' a lot, hammers on the letterbox to be let in, and isn't fazed in the slightest by fireworks...

I think it's nurture as much as nature. Giddy jittery owners make their pets jump at shadows.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 1:12:00 AM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, not much more to say really, apart from 'we want a doggie', well that's what the wife just said anyway.

Monday, October 15, 2007 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello All,

I'm really happy to report that all is well with the little geezer.
Full of beans and bounce,he is.

I agree with you Span, that wet owners make for wet pets, and although he's still a bit nervous sometimes, we're not allowing too much indulgence in his woosiness.

Regardless of his beginnings (and I'm still not convinced that humans did all they could for him) he's top sante now, and I love him to bits.

Six, get a dog. It's bloody great and you see times of the day and therefore wonders of nature that you would not otherwise see.

I cannot imagine life without him now.

All my best to one and all.

K xxx

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Ah man, I'm almost gonna cry. Good story and good pooch.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you e-mail me re Levi Bellfield. e-mail me on PetersPatsy@yahoo.co.uk. Doing research on him and would really like to talk to you.
Patsy

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home