Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Level of education I can work with

I can start my first A Level!

In fact, it's my first real exam ever taken! How's that for ambitious?!

I've done courses at college and stuff, but I have never studied for a qualification in my life. I left school before the exams were due to start when I was 16, and I kick myself!

I have a pretty good command of English, and I was going to do the GCSE first, but friends have convinced me just to go the whole hog and do the full A Level English Literature (AS/A2).
I'll do a GCSE in Maths, and maybe Sociology after I finish this mammoth task, and then see if I want to take those up to A Level perhaps.

The ultimate aim would be to get on to a 4 year degree course for Speech and Language Therapy, but I think you need at 3-5 A's! At least I can apply and will have shown willing. It's years away, but it's a long-term goal that this may bring me closer to.

I am so excited about this part of my life.

I'm nervous too.

But you can only give these things a go can't you?

It's going to take anything up to 3 years to complete it, but I reckon I can do it in two if I behave and knuckle down.

It's a really interesting study list and I'm looking forward to reading the Shakespeare, and worried about reading the Shakespeare, in equal measure!

My list of texts are:

The Handmaid's Tale
The Taming of the Shrew (always wanted to read this, because of Kate!)
Dr. Faustus (a play, I'm told. I have never heard of it! I guess that makes me a Philistine!)
'Safe as Houses' collection
Othello
Songs of Innocence and of Experience - Poems in pairs
A Clockwork Orange
Riddley Walker

There is also a part that covers literature in War. It doesn't state whether it's Wilfred Owens or not, but it usually is isn't it?

So, I need to get my little tushy to the bookstore and buy some stuff.

The sooner I get started, the sooner I can be completely smug!

This is implying that I will have reason to be, and actually pass, which I will work extremely hard to do, but I really would be happy with an average grade. I'm quite pleased with myself that I'm even attempting it, so anything over my terribly negative expectations, will be fine with me!

12 Comments:

Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Brilliant go for it. Does that mean the wanderlust has sesceded?

You've got an amazingly interesting reading list.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Six,

I'm going to start gently with the wandering, because I need to knuckle down to this. Plus I can't just be that confident to up and leave. One step at a time is how I see it, and the A Level is a very important for the future. I can always see snippets of the world before I commit!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesing collection of works. You go for it Katey - be strange having Charlie tell you you can't go out until you've done your homework.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:18:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

ooh, word verification Lena...well done!...and well done for the aspirations too...best of luck...and I'm not being mean when I say you'll need it(or IT!)! My ex is doing a course at Bath Uni now and it takes A LOT of effort...in fact get off this blog and if I catch you on the MB there's the threat of a spanking!...no hang on...I need to think of a deterent!...;-)

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 5:56:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Thank you people for your words of encouragement.

And I'm glad you have told me about the level of work it takes Span. I don't need to be under illusions if I'm going to do it right.

I shall be as disciplined as I can.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 6:10:00 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Bounced to your blog from a note you left on mine. Love your reading list. If you haven't read it already, I expect Clockwork Orange will be the one that affects you the most. The language gets a bit tricky, but stick with it. You'll get the rhythm of it, and it puts your head in a totally different place.

The others are classics, but you probably have heard everything they have to say. Clockwork Orange is a singularity of literature. And a fascinating linguistic study.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

GAV
Come, come, you wasp. I’ faith, you are too angry.

KATE
If I be waspish, best beware my sting.

GAV
My remedy is then to pluck it out.

KATE
Ay, if the fool could find it where it lies.

GAV
Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting?
In his tail.

KATE
In his tongue.

GAV
Whose tongue?

KATE
Yours, if you talk of tales. And so farewell.

GAV
What, with my tongue in your tail? Nay, come again,
Good Kate. I am a gentleman.

At this point she slaps him!

Good for you!

Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:29:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

This is so great!

To have people that know the work and the texts....

Oh it's so exciting!

Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:23:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I've replied by email but thought I perhaps might say something similar here...

I posted that piece from the Taming of the Shrew as Gav and Kate instead of (Petruchio and Katherine) so that you wouldn'd be scared of Shakespeare - it reads like an exchange between Lena and David Citizen off the MB!

She'll be right as ninepence, won't she chaps?

Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:36:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Indeed she will young (old?) Gav, indeed she will.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

You know I'dprefer O..Othello and this sort of site (or similar books) could help...but make sure you actually READ the books!

http://www.clicknotes.com/othello/welcome.html

Thursday, November 10, 2005 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

BBC1 Monday 8.30 Taming of the Shrew: Shakespeare ReTold...

Thursday, November 17, 2005 1:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home