Friday, November 25, 2005

Snobs and their snobbery

I am so pissed off. I have come home in a really foul mood.

That fact alone is bugging me, because it is small-minded shite that has caused it.

Anonymous, small-minded shite at that!


There was a thread on the message boards today, entitled 'Did anything good ever come from a council estate?'.

The poser of this question (hmmm...somehow that word fits) a 'middle-class' female, informs us later in the thread, of her own parents reliance on council housing when they arrived on this fair island, and says that it was only a stepping stone and that her parents worked hard to get more.

So far, you may not think this too much of an issue. I'm ok with that. I salute success and hard work. They strike me as good folks on that principle alone.

But, when you consider the stated fact that her own beginnings were in essence, a hit and miss affair, against the originally implied blanket condemnation of council estates and their inhabitants, are you not left stunned by the audacity of this person? By the sheer small-minded snobbery of it?

Let me pick it apart for you, Dear Reader, and tell it as I see it. Maybe you won't think I'm too far off the mark with this train of thought.

Firstly, the use of language in the original thread is really nothing short of bigotry; 'scum', 'strange speak', attacks on dress codes and values.

(Go to bbc.co.uk/fivelive to have a gander at the full and unabridged version. I hasten to add, that there is a post from her, apologising. It's hard to really get any truth from that apology when you have some experience of past posts from this person, and the same pattern of 'goad and apologise'. I digress...)

And all from what she perceives as the preferred and superior place to be.

A place her parents hard work put her in. Not her own!

It doesn't occur to people like this, that just because their own values are not necessarily shared, that there could possibly be any real and true values at work in a different dynamic!

Implying that social housing automatically means the people within it fall into one social group, (ie those who play no useful part in society), is just plain bastard wrong!


Just one small fact to note; the people who live in council accomodation usually work the longest hours for the least money, get one holiday a year if they're lucky, do the crappiest jobs. And all while raising famillies as best they can, and trying to have something akin to a decent life.

Just because the averagre Joe manages to somehow continue with the grind for about 50 years, and is happy just to be looked after by a loyal Mrs Average Joe, does not mean there are not deep and meaningful forces at work. Just because conversation is peppered with expletives, does not mean nothing meaningful is being said. Just because a person's role in society might earn them less money or status, does not mean they are less of a person.

It really makes me angry that this thread came from someone who's parents were possibly only able to make her upbringing a 'middle class' one, because there is such a thing as council housing. How fortunate she is, that her parents had a head-start and were the ones who worked hard to give her a different life. It's made it so she can sit in high-horse judgement without having to experience (her loss in many ways) the struggles and joys of a life-weary household.

What if a the bread-winner had died? Or buggered off? Or been a drunk? Or disabled? Or just not bright or confident enough to aim for more? Different life and destiny, at a stroke!

My own mother brought four children up in a council house, and though she worked so hard, every day, at times holding down three crap jobs, there was no way that she could have afforded a mortgage on her council home. She was unskilled and low-paid, and was trying hard to be all the parent we needed.

For my own part, I needed to be housed when my son's father and I broke up, and while it may not suit the agenda of chattering snobs, that's how it happened.; we were together in a house he'd bought, I moved out with a small baby, and needed a place to live.

I have never taken my housing for granted, have always worked to pay my way, have always taught my son to have pride and respect for where he lives. Just like 99% of my neighbours.

I could have, and probably should have, bought this lovely flat that I am lucky enough to live in.

But over the years, I chose to work part-time, because I wanted to be Charlie's mum. To be able to go to sports day, and cook good, fresh food, and be home when he was.

I didn't give a shit for bricks and mortar.

And do you know why?

Because it would not have made me aspire to more!

I have carried the very real values that my mum instilled in all of her children, I've picked a few more of my own along the way and instilled them all, in turn, in my own child.

I have a work ethic so strong, that I have never been unemployed, unless I've somehow had enough money to chill for a bit.
My son has the same sense coursing through his every working day.

We are part of a wonderful family, who are all raisng great kids as it happens, mostly in... guess what????

Council homes!

That's right! Serial offenders!

But those of us who have not bought property, still not one of us does not work, does not love, does not respect, is not aware, socially and politically.

And I can say that with my hand on my heart.

Just like 99% of my neighbours.

So, to summarise - Snobbery is like racism; based on fear, first and foremost. But also skin-deep assumptions, ignorance and unfathomable stupidity.




There, that's better.

19 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Chin up my lovely! At least she acknowledges you have a fan club and she doesn't!

There's no shame in being poor - there is shame in scrounging - but the silly mare can't tell the difference.

I'm poor! Not because I don't earn good money - but because I've chosen to squander it on educating my children. Sadly the authorities view this as a luxury not essential expenditure so sadly we as a family qualify for nothing by way of state help.

For this reason my younger daughter (9) remembers only 2 family holidays in her entire life! And we have little in the way of possessions that a burglar would take a second look at!

It may not be pretty and it may not be grand but our humble home is the focal point for the kids social lives. They come here in their dozens because they like it!

It's the warmth of the welcome that makes it a valuable home - not what estate agent or the housing association say!

Saturday, November 26, 2005 5:18:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

PS I'm reminded of a news item on the telly a good few years back. It was a negative equity story. A little girl was interviewed because her family had been evicted.

The reporter asked her how it felt to be homeless. She replied "Oh we have a home, we just haven't got anywhere to put it!"

That little little girl had the right idea!

Saturday, November 26, 2005 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Gav,

What a charming tale about that little girl.
Home is not the packaging, it's the content.

As for any sense of shame, believe me when I say that I don't have one.

I don't actually consider myself poor; we eat well every day, I have nice clothes and things around me that I love. I drive a fairly new car, I can have luxuries aplenty, and don't go without, by any stretch of the imagination.

In fact, far from feeling any shame about my upbringing and the life I live now, I'm proud to be who and what I am, because it has been as successful as I could wish it to be, in spite of the odds.

K x

Sunday, November 27, 2005 4:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your words are very true, you are a very poor man in the most luxurious mansion if you have no loving family around you; likewise somebody who shares the most humble abode with those who matter most is truly rich.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Wise words Adamantixx and well done Lena (that's Kayfer K for those that may not know),another beutifully written piece.

My mum grew up on a council estate in North London but was then considered good/ lucky for marrying 'above her station' by her peers...this provides us with a conundrum...the "dilemma" being do you accept your life but want to 'get out' ASAP or do you accept it but look down (up?!!)on those that are better off financially/ materially?

Monday, November 28, 2005 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Kate, I really hope you didn't get too wound up. She is completely self-obsessed and frankly I wouldn't have expected anything else. Life is about values not social station.

Monday, November 28, 2005 2:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I didn't realise that thread had got to you so much. I was brought up on a council estate and when I went to grammar school some people took the piss so I know how you feel. Those of us who have had such an experience know that council estates aren't exclusively populated by chav sociopaths. As you can see from the replies you've had people feel the same way as you.

Monday, November 28, 2005 5:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Thanks for all the comments on this one.

I shall reply to each person via their own blog.

K/L x

Monday, November 28, 2005 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Reply if you wish K, but don't stop blogging whatever you do!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 8:06:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Reply if you wish K, but don't stop blogging whatever you do!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 8:10:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Gavin is repeating himself!..burp

Lena, just to clear one thing up, I am not taking sides in the council estate thread; all I did is state what I see as perhaps a slight overreaction by you and then several incredibly illogical comments from several other posters...some of whom have blogs...nuff said: at NO point does Tripti say that ALL council estate people are chav scum and at NO point does she say that chav scum is not found elsewhere...I call it how I see it.

The board is closed when I looked in just now but I'll post this there tomorrow if it helps.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:54:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hi Span,

I'd sooner you left it mate to be honest.

You're entitled to your opinion, but for me, I think the girl is a snob and a bigot.

Just to clear one thing up though, you say at no point does she say that all council estate residents are chave scum, she asks the question 'DID ANYTHING GOOD EVER COME OUT OF A COUNCIL ESTATE!' Do you think she needs to underline it and use specifics?

She's a tosser.

Kate x


Kate.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Span's late on parade.

I don't think she really meant it when she started! Perhaps she'll hear the voices when they say it's hurting next time.

That's why we kicked in.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Ok Lena, nuff said...I really think she was looking to get a rise (as she did!) but I haven't been there enough recently to know what she's like bigot wise...she started off (about 3 months ago) as quite a reasonable poster and joined in for a laugh...I guess I shouldn't have called her a witch and say "Burn Her!"...when she admitted using a website to get anagrams of posters nmaes..when us goodies use brain power!

Sorry if I stirred the nest but you know what I'm really like...ish


well in fact no you don't!...MUAHAHA MUHAHAHAHAHAAA

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

It's the thinly veiled shit I can't handle.

The references to 'English' people, bad-mouthing council estate inhabitants, never thinking outside of her own inherited cultural or social box.

I may be paranoid or hyper-sensitive, but I cannot think of a single compassionate thread from the girl, and if the same things were posted about her parents culture, or Indians as a race, or any of that crap, I'd stand up against that too.

I hate this shit and I don't know why I am still frying over it!

K x

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

No worries Katey,I used to get so worked up...leading to premod etc...now I'm chill bill...I know she posted earlier re Indians and stuff and youre right to back her up there...I don't quite understand what led her to post the subject anyway...she says friday afterbnoon and bored but maybe it goes deeper.

No worries...I won't post on it again, you know I agree with your point of view as well...anyway...night night!...its nearly midnight here!

P.S. Glad you enjoyed the Tuna!...but very upset you didn't use the olive comment to plug my blog!...;-)

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Oh bugger! Didn't even think to do it. And besides, I wouldn't have been sure that you would have wanted it put on the boards.

Next time. Promise!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a message from tripti:

truce my arse. you didn't want span to post in favour of me because it was against you. maybe now you can understand why i call your geezers your cronies. step out of line and you'll whip them back into shape.

as far as "I cannot think of a single compassionate thread from the girl", what a load of bollocks. but if you say it then i'm sure your stooges will believe it. as harsh as my language might be, i'm more open minded than you could ever dream of being kayfer kettle. and if i was as small minded as you i might call you a stupid bitching little cow, but as it happens i'll just think it without saying it.

and span i hope you won't get sucked into everything that comes out of your mistress's mouth.

i'm sure you'll delete this but what the hell, at least you'll have read it dearest lena because i'm done with being nice to you.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

No worries Tripti, I'm my own man but I'm also open to seeing, and commenting on, all sides and opinions without being so rude about it!

Sucked in..mistress...mouth...oh dear I feel all faint!

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home