Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I don't know where he gets it from....

I went to Ibiza for the first time when I was 31, just 4 years ago.

I was with my beloved, and we were having the most relaxed and fun holiday we'd ever had together, just taking it easy, eating well and seeing the best the place has to offer (which is considerable if you care to look past the likes of Sky One exposes!)

A few friends were flying out a few days after us, so we decided to hold down the full-on clubbing bit until they got there.

In the meantime, we chilled and walked and enjoyed the sun and each other, for 3 blissful days.

On the third night, we had a lovely late meal in a bay restaurant and shared a bottle of bubbly. Very nice too, and it was all we needed before deciding to go back to our room and relax up.

On our way back, we came across a scantily-clad young lady (about 17), a bit worse for wear and crying. She'd had a row with her boyfriend and he'd gone off, and all her friends were expecting them in a club about half a mile away, and she was scraed to walk alone.............so we said we were happy to walk her there and make sure she met with her friends; no problem at all.

Good deed done, girlie considerably more cheerful than when we came across her, we were happy responsible adults, at one with whole scene.

Almost back to the apartment, I spot a gorgeous little bar that is lit up, and so inviting, stretching out on a little island that goes from the beach out to the sea.

Hundreds of little fish swim around the underwater light, in the clear, warm water that is all over the Balearics.

Anyway, I suggest we go and have 'a little nightcap', and we go off down to this little bar.

The barman is the smiliest man you ever saw, and there is a hearty german resident already having around about his 10th nightcap.

Anyway, I suggest to my beloved that it might be a good idea to finish with some Tequilla!

This smiley barman thinks it might be a good idea to pour us double tequillas!

They slip down no problem, and we go for round 2.........

About 5 minutes after round 1 was working it's magic, round 2 of the double whammy's, was heading for out pea-sized brains.

Yet still no real affect it seemed. You know how it is.

Ten minutes later, we shout up the final double shots and call it a night.

NOW we're feeling it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no recollection of actually leaving that bar, even now.

Anyway, we are weaving and swaying and laughing our heads off at the sudden state we find ourselves in, and all the while, my head was giving marvellous advice to my knees, shouting 'Lock damn you! Lock!'

But they would not.

They were of rubber!

Like a baby deer I was!

I have no recollection of how my beloved was making this journey, but I do know that at the point when we were just 150 yards from home, arm in arm and creased up with laughter, we lost footing.

We reeled, as if we were skating backwards, in a fluid movement.....

CRASH!!!! Straight thorough a massive pane of glass, into the ground level dining room of a hotel!!

It was 2.00am I am thankful to report, or I would have been face down in someone's Gaspacho!!

Suffice to say, we were very lucky that we had our heads still attached and just the forty stitches between us.

For the next 4 days, we could not swim or shower properly or sunbathe.

How to trash a holiday in three easy double Tequillas!

On the night we were leaving Ibiza, we were taking one last stroll through a street market.

A Spanish Hippy tapped me on one of the shoulders where some of my stitches were clearly visible.....

He asks, 'Moto accident?'

I say 'No, tequilla!'

He says 'Mucho Tequilla?'

I say, 'Si. MUCHO Tequilla!'

He waggles a stump that used to be his little finger and says 'Ahhh, mucho Vodka!'.

God knows what his full story was, but I felt so much better; I had all my digits, my head, my limbs...all good!

Got a couple of scars from the experience, but it all adds character doesn't it?!

16 Comments:

Blogger Crispin Heath said...

What, what, what. You haven't finished ahhhhhhh!!!!!

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:02:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Sorry, posted when I should have saved as draft.....bloody neighbours knocking!!
I shall continue....

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:59:00 PM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

Blimey, K! A bit of a narrow escape, that one.

I'll bet you've never drank Tequilla since. I've never touched brandy since 31st December 1973, but that's another story!

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

...blood, 40 stitches, plate glass...and you're happy you didn't fall in someone's soup...what a treasure!

That demon alcohol is evil; that's why I never drink............................................................................







what are you staring at me like that for...:-) ?

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

The just don't make plate glass windows sturdy enough for the English abroad!

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Well Six, do you know? I never felt a thing! Not even the stitching up!

Just saw the blood...

The Finnish doc who stitched me up was so great.

He said 'English people have tough skin...like Whales!!!'

I protested in the strongest terms and told him I'd be back next year, healed and satiny soft!

All in a VERY slurred voice!!!

K x

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:47:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello LPJ,

Yes indeed it was.

And when I say a massive window, I do mean massive.

It was at ground level, and was about 8 feet tall, by about 10 feet wide!

It was the angle that we went in at that saved us (the reeling backwards like Torville and Dean!), because all of our injuries were on our shoulders, arms and sides.

And no, I have never drunk Tequilla again. And I won't.

Brandy on the other hand....

K x

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Mucho sangre, Spanish!

My other half had the worst injury on his back, at waist level.

Like a little bleeding mouth!

You must actually be drunk right now btw, or you would not have forgotten that you drink copious amounts and are usually found drunk!

K x

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:07:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

You jest Gav, but I tell you, it just shattered on contact. The sound of breaking glass at 2.00am, on peaceful streets was quite something of a shock!

It reminded me of a song.....

The thing was, there had been a speech on the coach on the way there, about glass and safety in Spain, going on about 'the sun may glare your eyes and you might think a glass door is open, and it is not'. How we laughed and mocked!

Never mentioned what the best course of action was in moonlight...

K x

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

...whatever...it's disgraceful behaviour...giving the Brits..NAY!...the English,a bad name abroad!!

Just for thr record I have seen (and heard) Irish and eastern europeans (!!!) claiming that they are English...when found to be drunk and abusive...the latter really bugged me because they had just told the Catalans where to go and the STUPID psuedo-Spaniards had replied re bloody English hooligans etc...then I had to step in (shining light and moving music to set the scene!...in flawless Spanish,which I guessed bugged them even more..hehehe)

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Well, you've got me Kay, I cannot come close to drunken antics as you have related. Although I did get arrested once in Coventry, stark naked, riding behind Lady Godiva...........

Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Mags...why were you arrested?

In possession of an deadly weapon?


Deadly...not offensive,you understand?...;-)

Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace, I believe Span. Drunk, naked and sitting on a statue singing 'Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross' isn't normal behaviour in Coventry, so I'm told.

They let me out the next morning without charge and without any bloody clothes either but that's another story. I have never been back to Coventry and never intend to!

Thursday, December 22, 2005 1:31:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Woo Mags! Not bad going for a tax wizzard! You'll be off to Stone Henge with flowers in your hair as soon as the weather is more clement...

Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:35:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Magnolia!!! You Hussy!

Excellent tale Mags.

It makes me seem entirely tame, and a little regretful that I've never got my bits out in public!

I've always thought it would be beyond hilarious to do a streak across the cricket ground!

The bit that would crack me up, would be the chase from the police!

They'd catch me in about 10 seconds because I cannot run to save my life, especially naked and hysterical with a crowd of hooting cricket fans for company!

In my mind, I have lived!!!!!

K x

Friday, December 23, 2005 5:29:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

I'd just like to tell the indignant Span, that we were doing nothing wrong.

We were arm in arm, laughing our heads off, out only crime having drunk more than we could handle in too short a time, and we slipped!

If that had been safety glass, I would not have a tale to tell except about a slightly bruised bum and a hangover!

We weren't fighting or arguing or causing anyone any problems.

So there!

K x

Friday, December 23, 2005 5:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home