Wednesday, December 28, 2005

This time of night and the genes that dictate the love of it

I really love this time of night.

Alone or in company, there is something about the approach to midnight, and the first couple of hours after it, that feel absolutely right to me.

This is when my mind is most relaxed, when I am most me.

I surely was not born to go along with the 9 to 5.30 routine with that truth coursing through my veins, eh?

No, I am an owl, not a lark. Scientific fact. Or so I'm told.

I have my mum to thank (or curse) for it. And possibly my insomniac father, but we'll go with the positives on this ocassion!

She has always been a night owl, and I cannot remember a time when I have not been assured she is awake at at least 2.00am.
In fact, she has to have some nasty illness to not be up and at 'em while others sleep.

Even when we were kids, with school to be prepared for, and her sometimes working 3 jobs at once, she still could not settle in her bed before then.

So it really is no surprise that I like the peace of this time of night (as I sit here, there is very little noise, even with Christmas still in our midst and most people not having to think about work tomorrow).

But I also like this time of night at party's and get-togethers; get-togethers like New Years Eve, when people are still lively at this time and there is all to play for, all to be enjoyed.

For me, it really is a 3 hour window for the peak of human enjoyment VS adverse effects of alcohol intake/middle age/footwear choice/company, so I personally relish every second!

I hate having to watch the clock, and the best bit about time off from the normal routine, is that I don't have to!!! Other than to count in 2006 and knock out a hearty chorus of 'Auld Lang Syne' of course!

So here I am, enjoying my favourite time of night...and I'm getting text messages from beloved friends, my choice of music is right on the money, I have ice to garnish my favourite drink, just so, and the lights from the tree are lending a nice air to everything.

Mmmm........staying up without a thought for setting the alarm....

3 Comments:

Blogger Name Witheld said...

When I lived on my own (23 years ago) I used to stay up till the small hours of Saturday morning and found it a great way to unwind after a week in a crap job.

I married a woman who sleeps a lot less than me so now my lie-ins are tinged with guilt since said wife NEVER gets up after about 8:30am. even on holiday!

Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello LPJ,

There really is nothing quite like it, and the only aspect I hate about having to work, is the fact that I cannot just sleep and rise in my own time.

There is a peace at this time of night that just speaks to me!

Feel no guilt about liking to lay in later than 8.30am - it's the middle of the night for God's sake!! LOL!

K x

Friday, December 30, 2005 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Kate-

This has also been a favorite time for me during my entire life, those wee hours of quiet whether spent alone on a beach or mountaintop, in a candlelit bathtub with that special someone, working late on some creative project, or just sitting by a fire reading a good book, there is something magical in those midnight hours.

Thanks for visiting Earth Home Garden and leaving such a nice comment.

Friday, December 30, 2005 2:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home