Thursday, March 02, 2006

Amelie Delagrange

I am pleased to read that someone is at last going to stand trial for the brutal murder of this beautiful young girl.

I'm just a bit surprised to read who they've charged, but I'll explain further in a bit.

Other charges have also been brought against Levi Bellfield, for the attempted murders and abduction of other young women in the area around Twickenham.

On one occasion, the attacker revved his engine, drove straight at one of these young women and then reversed over her. She was very lucky to survive, as were others.

But not so for the lovely, fresh-faced English student, Amelie, who was attacked with something like a hammer, and died from her injuries. She was 22 years old.

My family live around the area where a seemingly separate hammer attack took place, in Hampton.

Hanworth (where my sister lives) is just up the road, and Levi originally came from Hanworth.

In fact, she went to school with him, and knew him as a neighbour for many years. His family still live just across the road.

He even came up for a cuppa a few times over the years, and got on well with my brother-in-law.

She last saw him 2 years ago.

He was always a skinny little fella as a teenager, who bounced on his toes when he walked. My sister tells me he grew to be about 6 ft 2 and is a big stocky bloke.

I was a bit younger than him and always found his slightly aggressive nature off-putting. I never wanted to get to know him. My sister always thought he was a sweetheart.

Whatever, it is truly incredible to think that he could be capable of these terrible crimes, but the police dug up his garden a long time ago, and I doubt that this case would be coming to court after 18 months, without some pretty solid evidence.

If he is innocent, then I hope this is found to be so.

If he's guilty, I thank God for the skills of the British police and hope the system deals with it as it should.

Her parents and loved ones deserve to see proper justice done.

10 Comments:

Blogger Linda Mason said...

Spooky Kaye.....my sister lives in Hanworth too. When all this business was going on I was very worried about my niece, who is now nearly 15 because she was attending a school in Hampton at the time, so I am pleased that they have made an arrest now. It's funny though, I am very uneasy about Hanworth. I lived in W3 for nine years and witnessed a few dodgy things in my time but I never felt unsafe in the streets whereas in Hanworth I always did. Perhaps there's something in the air?

Monday, March 06, 2006 9:19:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hiya Mags,

What a coincidence.

I understand what you mean about certain parts of Hanworth. There is something a little bit menacing about it.

I lived there for the first part of my life and there used to be more 'real' life on the streets because there were local pubs. The Oxford arms now has a block of flats built on it, and the Jolly Sailor is a petrol station. The pubs were dives, but I think it has definitely taken a neighbourhood feel from the place.

Now, it has the feel of a ghost town at night, and only the young and/or naughty are out.

My favourite early childhood memories are based around the area, and I will always remember Oriel school and it's wonderful teachers. The wedding photo was of my first class there!

K xxxx

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:13:00 PM  
Blogger flyingfinn said...

When I lived in Enfield, North London, I had a mate whose sister was murdered, before I knew him. Understandably, it screwed him up a bit. It must be a terrible thing to go through. He always used to talk about how his own life would end once her murderer was released frm prison; that he would exact his revenge.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:36:00 PM  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Funnily enough nearly ALL murderers have 'normal' lives and there are ALWAYS those that say "who would of thought it" and "he/ she was such a nice person" etc.

The sad point is that humans kill each other and very few of the murderers are "the murdering type".

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I'm not sure they really are 'normal'. My sister has a friend who used to teach. Until a 'kid' held down a younger kid while someone even nastier cut him to shreds. The 'kid' was a first tme offender but Bridget had seen him torching bags in classrooms and being deeply unpleasant...

She knew it. So she stopped teaching.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

Hi K,

Every morning I pass a small square of former council houses. It would take a few grand spent on it before it would be a "nice little square" but nevertheless it doesn't look too bad. I got quite a shock about a week ago when this square was on the local TV news because there had been a murder there. It turned out that someone had murdered their dad!

It's hard for me to believe that such a crime could be committed in such an ordinary looking place. I suppose it must be like Span pointed out : most murderers are ordinary people so they'll probably live in ordinary places. But, surely, nowhere near where I live?!?!?!?!

Monday, March 20, 2006 10:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fell on this article accidentally by looking for things on Amelie in Google.
Amelie was my cousin.
It makes 2ans since Saturday that we took her to me.
I came has twickenham to put it flowers on Saturday with the family.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello Manon,

Firstly, I'd like to express my regards and condolences to you and your family.

I really was very sad and shocked to read the news of the attacks on all these young ladies. I grew up around this area and still have family there now.
The loss of your beautiful cousin is beyond tragic, and I hope you can get some comfort from the knowledge that the person who killed her might remain in custody for the rest of their life.

Peace and best wishes to you all.

Kate.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 1:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Kate for these very touching words.
That comforts to see that people do not forget. Thank you for your condolences

I wish you understand my english!

Sincerely
Manon

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:27:00 PM  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello again Manon.

I wish so badly that my words to you made a real difference, but of course they do not.

A case like Amelie's makes me so proud of our police force here in the UK. I hope that you have been given all the very best support and assistance that they had to offer.

As for your English Manon, I understood perfectly. I suspect my French is very much worse!

Take care of yourself, and please feel free to drop by the blog again anytime.

Kate x

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home